Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Transition to Fall: Shorts (Part 1)

Fall in Ohio can be a weird season - one minute it's 78 degrees, the next it's 45. It's hard to know what to expect, which often makes transitional wardrobes a bit problematic.

My mother has a system where she switches out her closets and dresser drawers for fall/winter and spring/summer - but I just don't have that kind of secondary storage space, so I wind up mixing my clothing all together. I like the unexpected nature of pairing different weight fabrics with each other anyway, and it gives me a chance to play with unusual combinations and to make each item of clothing wearable for as long as possible in any given year.

MAKING SHORTS WORK FOR FALL: 

1) Add tights.
Pick a pair of shorts that are not too "summery" (denim, chino, or any other heavier-weight fabric will do) and couple them with some tights in a contrasting color. Black and brown are both classic hues, but don't be afraid to go a little bolder. I am somewhere in the middle with this maroon pair.

Bonus: instant camouflage for pasty legs!








OUTFIT DETAILS:
Shirt // Target (Summer 2013)
Cardigan // Gap (Spring 2012)
Shorts // Express (by way of TJ Maxx)
Tights // Target
Shoes // City Classified, from Ebay
Sunglasses // CVS

2) Pair with a long-sleeve shirt.
I adore gingham because it goes with everything! I wear this shirt year-round - it's a perfect addition to a pair of high-waisted denim shorts. Great for a picnic, apple picking, or sipping coffee on the patio on a warm fall day.





OUTFIT DETAILS:
Shirt // J Crew (Spring 2012)
Shorts // Macy's (Spring 2014)
Shoes // Born, from 6pm.com
Sunglasses // Costume Specialties

Stay tuned for Shorts (Part 2)! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by Freeborboleta